Poll Results: Teneration X -- Apple has made it clear that the official pronunciation of the X in Mac OS X is "Ten," and not "Ex." But it's going to be interesting to see if Apple backs down on that over time, since a full 53 percent of the 1,300 respondents to last week's poll claim they most commonly say "Mac OS Ex" when talking about Apple's forthcoming operating system. Apple will face an uphill battle in insisting on proper pronunciation, but at least the confusion inspired Shannon Spires to post an "X on X" spoof of the famous Abbott and Costello "Who's on First?" sketch to TidBITS Talk. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree