ListSTAR Moves from 4D to MCF Software -- 4D, Inc. has announced that MCF Software will be taking over sales and support for ListSTAR, the powerful and flexible mailing list server that 4D picked up in its acquisition of StarNine Technologies last March. ListSTAR hadn't seen much development for some time before its December, 1999 update to version 2.0, and it seemed unlikely that it would receive significant development effort going forward as well. We've relied on ListSTAR since moving distribution of TidBITS in-house in 1996, and it's met our needs sufficiently that we haven't even upgraded from 1997's version 1.2. But it's good to see ListSTAR finding a new home where support can continue. Farokh Irani, president of MCF Software, is well-known in the ListSTAR user community as the developer of numerous utilities, scripts, and templates for ListSTAR - kudos to both 4D and MCF Software for helping keep a valuable program alive. ListSTAR remains for sale at $295, and evaluation license codes are available. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.