SETI@home 3.0 Client Available -- The folks at the SETI@home distributed computing project - which takes advantage of idle systems around the world to analyze radio telescope data for possible extraterrestrial signals - have released version 3.0 of the SETI@home client for Macintosh. Version 3.0 still runs as either a screen saver or stand-alone application, and introduces new highly optimized Fast-Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithms; the performance improvements offered by the new techniques enable the SETI@home client to attempt two types of pulse detection ("pulses" and "triplets"). Version 3.0 also expands the range of Doppler shift rates examined, and tightens its Gaussian curve fitting to reduce the number of false positive reports. The client is also a little pickier about updating its 3D graph, since drawing to the screen can take longer than actually performing the computations. SETI@home 3.0 is a 450K download, and requires a PowerPC-based machine with at least 24 MB of RAM running System 7.5.5 or higher; use of the version 3.0 client will eventually be required to keep participating in the SETI@home project. If you haven't already, consider joining the TidBITS SETI@home team! [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
- SETI Brings Space Exploration to Home Macs (24 May 99)
Published in TidBITS 553.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Eudora 5.0.1 Released
- Updates to Action Files 1.5.4 & Action Menus 1.0.2
- Napster (Finally) Releases Mac Client
- Entourage Followup
- Priceline.com Ceases Bidding on Groceries
- Gill Exits Quark
- Poll Results: Front and Center
- Poll Preview: Bandwidth Is Good
- Major Update to StuffIt Deluxe 6.0 and Expander 6.0
- Make the Connection with ConceptDraw