Poll Results: Front and Center -- Last week's poll asking what folks consider to be the most common tasks for which they use their Macs was both enlightening and predictable. By far, the runaway responses were email and Web browsing, which garnered 87 percent and 80 percent of the responses, respectively - clearly, the Internet dominates the computer use of this poll's respondents. Word processing placed a strong third place, ranked by about 63 percent of the respondents, but from that point on the responses were a wash. Graphics, spreadsheets, and print/Web publishing each garnered responses of 30 percent or more (meaning about one respondent in three considered them a common task) and both development and games earned a about 20 percent response (meaning about one poll respondent in five is a gamer or software developer). Remaining categories - audio and video, tweaking the system, and other - were cited by 12 to 18 percent of respondents, and educational software finished last, cited by only 5 percent of the poll's respondents. [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- 1Password 6.0.2
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard
Published in TidBITS 553.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Eudora 5.0.1 Released
- Updates to Action Files 1.5.4 & Action Menus 1.0.2
- SETI@home 3.0 Client Available
- Napster (Finally) Releases Mac Client
- Entourage Followup
- Priceline.com Ceases Bidding on Groceries
- Gill Exits Quark
- Poll Preview: Bandwidth Is Good
- Major Update to StuffIt Deluxe 6.0 and Expander 6.0
- Make the Connection with ConceptDraw