BBEdit 6.0.1 Update Released -- Bare Bones Software has released BBEdit 6.0.1, updating the company's widely used text editor and HTML authoring program (see "BBEdit 6.0 Improves Powerful Text Editing" in TidBITS-547). FTP server passwords can now be stored in the Mac OS 9 Keychain or in BBEdit's bookmarks file, and the link checker better handles large documents with many links. Additional improvements include more detailed text coloring options, a preference for viewing QuickTime movies either as source data or in a playback window, and numerous other fixes. The upgrade to BBEdit 6.0.1 is free to owners of BBEdit 6.0; owners of BBEdit 2.5 and later can upgrade for $39. The full version costs $119, with competitive upgrades priced at $79. The BBEdit 6.0.1 update is a 1.2 MB download. [JLC]
Type an em-dash on an iPhone
Typography and punctuation geeks rejoice! It's easy to type an em-dash on the iPhone's or iPod touch's virtual keyboard. To do so, tap the .?123 key to switch to the numeric keypad. Then touch and hold on the Hyphen key to reveal a pop-up strip showing an em-dash. Slide to the em-dash and release your finger.
Note that this basic trick works with many other keys on the virtual keyboard.
- BBEdit 6.0 Improves Powerful Text Editing (11 Sep 00)
Published in TidBITS 554.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Bare Bones Releases Mailsmith 1.1.6
- Keep It Up 2.4 Adds Email Notification
- PowerMail 3.0.6 Released, Mac OS X Version in Public Beta
- SoundJam 2.5.2 Fixes Bugs, Goes Carbon
- Poll Results: Bandwidth Is Good
- Quiz Preview: A Clean Dismount
- TidBITS AutoCorrect Dictionary Tips
- AutoSyncing TidBITS Handheld Edition via AvantGo
- Excel 2001: Expensive Excellence