Quiz Preview: A Clean Dismount -- One of the great things about Macintosh networking over the years is just how seamless it can be, particularly when you make judicious use of aliases. However, troubleshooting certain types of networking problems can prove difficult because of this seamlessness. For this week's quiz, then, imagine that you've set an AppleShare server to mount at startup and now something's changed. How, in Mac OS 9, do you go about preventing the Mac OS from trying to mount the server every time you boot your Macintosh? Test your knowledge (and maybe learn how you can use AppleShare servers more conveniently) on our home page! [ACE]
Copy Before Submitting Web Forms
Filling in Web forms (like the one used to submit this tip) can be a bit of a gamble - you put in your pearls of wisdom, perhaps only to lose them all if the Web page flakes out or the browser crashes. Instead of losing all your text, "save" it by pressing Command-A to select all and then Command-C to copy the selected text to the clipboard. Do this periodically as you type and before you click Submit, and you may "save" yourself from a lot of frustration. It takes just a second to do, and the first time you need to rely on it to paste back in lost text, you'll feel smart.
Published in TidBITS 554.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Bare Bones Releases Mailsmith 1.1.6
- BBEdit 6.0.1 Update Released
- Keep It Up 2.4 Adds Email Notification
- PowerMail 3.0.6 Released, Mac OS X Version in Public Beta
- SoundJam 2.5.2 Fixes Bugs, Goes Carbon
- Poll Results: Bandwidth Is Good
- TidBITS AutoCorrect Dictionary Tips
- AutoSyncing TidBITS Handheld Edition via AvantGo
- Excel 2001: Expensive Excellence