The Passing of Martin Minow -- I was cleaning out some old email while flying back from visiting family for Christmas when I came upon an message from Martin Minow, a puckish and insightful friend I see every year at the Netters' Dinner at Macworld Expo. The message didn't need a reply, but that didn't lessen my sadness when I saw a new message in another mailbox telling me Martin had just died suddenly of arteriosclerotic heart disease. Most recently, Martin had been a senior software engineer at ThinkLink, a voice-over-IP communications company, but before that he spent seven years at Apple as a SCSI guru, and for the 20 years before that he worked at Digital Equipment Corporation, first in Sweden and then in the U.S. I didn't know Martin well on a personal level, though he surprised me once in 1998 by inviting me to a picnic barbecue his running club was putting on after the San Francisco Bay to Breakers race. We hadn't exchanged email in months, and I was perplexed as to how he'd heard I'd be running that race. It turned out the news had leaked out via the widespread network of Mac folks we both knew. I'll treasure that quirky memory of Martin, both so a bit of him continues with me and because it reminds me just how important the community of Macintosh users really is. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Netter’s Dinner Declares Success, Shuts Down (18 Jan 13)
Published in TidBITS 561.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Welcome to 2001!
- Newer Technology Closing Shop
- Interarchy 4.0 Streamlines Look
- BBEdit 6.0.2 Available
- Default Folder 3.0.9 Released
- MCF Quickly Releases ListSTAR 2.1
- Poll Results: The Benefits of Unix
- Symantec Releases Two Norton Bundles
- Macworld San Francisco 2001 Events
- Speak the MacSpeech, I Pray You