Outpost.com's Shipping Charges Increase Again -- Just six weeks after mail-order vendor Outpost.com replaced its policy of free overnight shipping for all orders with one that offered free overnight shipping for orders totalling over $100, the company has again changed its approach (see "I Saw Free Ships..." in TidBITS-567). Effective 28-Mar-01, the company's new shipping policy offers free (actually up to $100 in shipping charges) second day delivery via Airborne Express for orders totalling over $500 (excluding sales tax). Other orders may be shipped via Airborne Express second day for a flat fee of $8.95, or customers may choose overnight delivery for a $12.95 flat fee. Orders placed before 28-Mar-01 but not shipped until afterward due to inventory back order or pre-order status will not be affected by the change in shipping policy. The company cites recent increases in fuel costs, which have impacted all air and ground delivery costs, as the primary reason for the change. [MHA]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software