Retrospect Client Public Beta for Mac OS X -- Dantz Development has released the public beta of Retrospect Client for Mac OS X, making it possible to back up Mac OS X machines via a plug-in added to Retrospect 4.3 on a backup server running Mac OS 8.x or Mac OS 9.x. Since Unix permissions of files are lost for any files backed up while a Mac OS X-based Mac is booted into Mac OS 9.1, this public beta, despite its raw state, is an important step in making Mac OS X usable on a production machine. Limitations include no support for Retrospect selectors, disabled notification and backup server preferences, no clock synchronization, no countdown alert before backup, incomplete support for UFS volumes, no uninstaller, and an expiration date of 01-Jul-01. Complete restores also require booting from another volume that has the Retrospect Client for Mac OS X installed. A number of problems have already arisen on Dantz's support mailing list (the only support option available right now) - I strongly encourage anyone reliant on Retrospect to subscribe by sending email to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. The 444K download requires your Retrospect license code or registration number, and you'll need an available client license to log in to Retrospect Client for Mac OS X. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Retrospect 5.0 Enables Mac OS X Backups (01 Apr 02)
Retrospect Client Public Beta for Mac OS X
your PDFs, fill and sign forms, and even export PDFs to Word format.
Signing is now easier, you can view the OCR text layer, and more.
Try editing your PDFs today! <http://smle.us/pdfpen-7-tb>