FreeHand 10 Goes Mac OS X Native, Adds Features -- Macromedia is now shipping FreeHand 10, improving the vector graphics program's integration with Flash 5 and running natively under Mac OS X. Specific new features include master pages, the Macromedia Standard Pen Tool (a multipurpose drawing tool that behaves the same in FreeHand, Flash, and Fireworks), and the implementation of Macromedia's user interface. The full version of FreeHand 10 is currently available as an online download for $400; updates from previous versions are $130. A boxed version is scheduled to ship in late May. Since Macromedia is still updating its systems to support purchases and downloads from Mac OS X, the company recommends that Mac OS X users purchase the boxed version. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.