icWord 1.2 Adds Double-Byte Support -- The recently released 1.2 update to Panergy's icWord utility for viewing and printing Microsoft Word documents can now read files created by the Far East version of Microsoft Word, including those in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other double-byte languages. Other feature additions include support for sound, display of footnotes as endnotes, and support for Unicode text files. Panergy also improved support for Word's built-in graphics, table viewing, and paragraph spacing. The update is free and is a 2.0 MB download. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- icWord Reads and Prints Word Documents (14 Aug 00)
icWord 1.2 Adds Double-Byte Support
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and