Suitcase 10 Delivered -- Extensis has released Suitcase 10, adding a number of features to the long-standing font management tool. The new version adds the capability to create application sets, which can automatically activate fonts when launching many popular programs; a QuarkXPress XTension also opens any font used in a QuarkXPress document (including fonts embedded in graphics). Suitcase 10 also supports Multiple Master fonts, includes the utility FontBook for previewing typefaces, adds a module for working with font sets from the Control Strip, tracks corrupt fonts, and handles font conflicts. Suitcase 10 requires a PowerPC-based machine running Mac OS 8.6 through 9.1, and costs $100. Upgrades from previous versions or competing font management programs are available for $50. Owners of Suitcase 10 will receive a free copy of the Mac OS X version when it ships later this year. Suitcase 10 is an 8.2 MB download. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Extensis Releases Suitcase 10.1 (19 Nov 01)