Ecrix, Exabyte Merge -- Ecrix, makers of the VXA-1 tape drive, and Exabyte, makers of high-performance MammothTape drives used in large network backup situations, have announced plans to merge. The merged company will be able to offer a broader range of products with both the VXA and MammothTape brands and plans to integrate VXA's innovative packet technology and non-tracking format with MammothTape's high performance read and write technologies. The merger improves Exabyte's cash position and also brings Ecrix co-founder Juan Rodriguez back to Exabyte, which he had previously helped found. Thankfully, the merged company will be called Exabyte - the Ecrix name always required a pronunciation guide. From the standpoint of owners of the Ecrix VXA-1 tape drives, the merger would appear to be good news, because it puts the format closer to widespread industry support. For more details on the Ecrix VXA-1 tape drive, see "Ecrix's VXA-1 Tape Drive: Big Fast Backups" in TidBITS-569. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Published in TidBITS 594.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Mac OS 9.2.1 Released
- Quicken 2002 Deluxe Adds Mac OS X Compatibility
- REALbasic 3.5 Released
- IPNetRouter 1.6.1 Released
- Nisus Writer 6.0.2 Improves International Support
- Now Up-to-Date & Contact 4.0.3 Released
- Mailsmith 1.1.8 Released
- Macworld Expo San Francisco 2002 Free Passes
- Honors Showcase Apple's Impact
- Getting Moving Again with EtherMac iPrint LT
- TiVo: Freedom Through Time-Shifting, Part 1