Ecrix, Exabyte Merge -- Ecrix, makers of the VXA-1 tape drive, and Exabyte, makers of high-performance MammothTape drives used in large network backup situations, have announced plans to merge. The merged company will be able to offer a broader range of products with both the VXA and MammothTape brands and plans to integrate VXA's innovative packet technology and non-tracking format with MammothTape's high performance read and write technologies. The merger improves Exabyte's cash position and also brings Ecrix co-founder Juan Rodriguez back to Exabyte, which he had previously helped found. Thankfully, the merged company will be called Exabyte - the Ecrix name always required a pronunciation guide. From the standpoint of owners of the Ecrix VXA-1 tape drives, the merger would appear to be good news, because it puts the format closer to widespread industry support. For more details on the Ecrix VXA-1 tape drive, see "Ecrix's VXA-1 Tape Drive: Big Fast Backups" in TidBITS-569. [ACE]
Add Notes to Pre-existing Recordings in Pear Note
While most people think of Pear Note as a tool for recording notes live, it can be used to take notes on pre-existing recordings as well. If you have an audio or video recording that you'd like to take notes on in Pear Note, simply:
- Drag the audio/video file to Pear Note and import it into a new document.
- Hit play.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
Now you can take notes that will be synced to the recording, just as if you'd recorded them live.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 594.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Mac OS 9.2.1 Released
- Quicken 2002 Deluxe Adds Mac OS X Compatibility
- REALbasic 3.5 Released
- IPNetRouter 1.6.1 Released
- Nisus Writer 6.0.2 Improves International Support
- Now Up-to-Date & Contact 4.0.3 Released
- Mailsmith 1.1.8 Released
- Macworld Expo San Francisco 2002 Free Passes
- Honors Showcase Apple's Impact
- Getting Moving Again with EtherMac iPrint LT
- TiVo: Freedom Through Time-Shifting, Part 1