QuicKeys X 1.0.2 Adds Options -- In our recent review of QuicKeys X, we noted that the engineers at CE Software have had to rebuild the macro utility from scratch for Mac OS X, resulting in a significantly reduced feature list compared to the Mac OS 9 version (see "QuicKeys X: The Return of the Ghost" in TidBITS-602). The company is gradually building up its new utility, starting with the QuicKeys X 1.0.2 update released last week. The new version adds options for hiding and showing applications, increases the speed of inserting boilerplate text, improves AppleScript playback speed, and incorporates bug fixes and other enhancements. Most welcome, at least to some of us, is the addition of a Bring All Windows to Front action, which enables you to set up a workaround for the most annoying aspect of switching applications in Mac OS X. QuicKeys X 1.0.2 is a free update and a 5.7 MB download. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- QuicKeys X: The Return of the Ghost (22 Oct 01)
QuicKeys X 1.0.2 Adds Options
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and