Snapz Pro X 1.0.2 Fixes Several Bugs -- For those needing to take screenshots in Mac OS X, the only serious tool available is Ambrosia Software's Snapz Pro X, which provides the functions most people need, such as saving in multiple formats, being able to select on-screen objects easily, naming screenshot files automatically, and saving to user-specified locations. Ambrosia has just released Snapz Pro X 1.0.2, a minor upgrade which fixes a crash when invoked from within Final Cut Pro and saves in indexed color if needed for file formats provided by QuickTime. Finnish and Traditional Chinese localizations are also now provided, along with documentation in Spanish. Some bugs remain - when you set the color change to the greyscale palette, Snapz Pro X converts the pixels to greyscale equivalents but still saves the file as an indexed color file. Plus, if you set the destination folder to one on a network volume that isn't mounted, taking a screenshot locks up Mac OS X entirely (which is at least partly Mac OS X's fault). The upgrade is free to registered users.; it's a 13.1 MB download. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Top Mac OS X Utilities: Restoring Third Party Capabilities (08 Apr 02)
- TenBITS/05-Nov-01 (05 Nov 01)
- TenBITS/03-Sep-01 (03 Sep 01)
- Say Cheese! Snapz Pro (31 Mar 97)