PayPal IPO Bucks Trends -- Internet stocks may never return the high-flying days of a few years ago, but Internet transaction service PayPal bucked recent trends with its initial public stock offering last week. The stock opened at $13 and closed its first day of trading on the NASDAQ above $20, a 55 percent gain that left the company valued at over $1 billion. Despite that vote of confidence, PayPal is facing a patent infringement lawsuit and regulatory investigations from a number of states concerned that PayPal may be running afoul of banking regulations. PayPal also is by no means profitable, with a $107.8 million loss in 2001 on revenues of $104.8 million. Still, with 12.8 million customers and new ones arriving at a rate of over 18,000 per day, PayPal remains the leader in online transaction services - see "Worthy Web Sites: PayPal" in TidBITS-562). [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- VMware Fusion 6.0.3 and Fusion 6.0.3 Professional
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.8
- DEVONthink and DEVONnote 2.7.5
- OmniOutliner 4.0.5
- 1Password 4.3
- AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3
- Paprika 2.0.3
- Security Update 2014-002 (Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion)
- Microsoft Office 2011 14.4.1
- Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.199
Use Shift to Compare Edits in iPhoto '08
In iPhoto '08, while you're editing a photo, press the Shift key to see a "before" view; let it up to see the "after" view. It's much faster and easier than using Undo and Redo.
- Worthy Web Sites: PayPal (08 Jan 01)