4D WebSTAR 5.1 Update Adds FastCGI, URL Redirection -- 4D, Inc. has continued applying pressure to the idea of using Mac OS X's built-in Apache Web server with last week's release of WebSTAR 5.1. Most notable among WebSTAR 5.1's new features is the integrated 4D WebSTAR Rewrite plug-in (based on Pardeikes Welcome Plugin for earlier versions of WebSTAR). We use Welcome heavily for virtual hosting, redirecting URL requests on the fly, transparently rewriting URLs (replacing ugly Lasso URLs with our permanent GetBITS URLs) and more, so its inclusion in WebSTAR 5.1 is extremely (ahem!) welcome. Along with bug fixes and performance, compatibility, and usability improvements, other new features in WebSTAR 5.1 include support for the FastCGI gateway interface, automatic language negotiation based on browser preferences, a speedier new WebSTAR Admin client, a new WebObjects adapter, and improved search summaries. The 46 MB update is free to registered users. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- WebSTAR V Ships for Mac OS X (15 Oct 01)