Eudora 5.1.1 Finally Ships for Mac OS X -- Qualcomm has released the long-awaited final version of Eudora 5.1.1 for both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X. Eudora users still running Mac OS 9 will appreciate a few small bug fixes, but the big news is the availability of Eudora for Mac OS X. Don't expect major changes - what you'll get under Mac OS X is almost all of Eudora's capabilities in a carbonized application. One important change with Mac OS X: Eudora is now a package containing all the ancillary files and folders for plug-ins and user dictionaries (Control-click the Eudora application, choose Show Package Contents, and open the Contents/MacOS folder for access to the Eudora Stuff folder). Eudora 5.1.1 is a free update for those who paid for Eudora during or after April of 2001, while upgrades for those who bought Eudora before then cost $30, and new versions cost $40: details are on the Eudora Web site. Of course, you can still use all of Eudora's features for free in Sponsored mode with ads, or a reduced set of features without ads in Lite mode. Eudora 5.1.1 for Mac OS X is a 4.0 MB download; 4.3 MB for Mac OS 9. If you're already using Eudora, you can get links to the installers and documentation by clicking "Find the latest update to Eudora" from the Payment & Registration command on the Help menu: if you're using Paid mode, the page will also tell you whether you need to pay for the 5.1.1 upgrade. [ACE]
Removing Photos from iPhoto
Despite iPhoto's long history, many people continue to be confused about exactly what happens when you delete a photo. There are three possibilities.
If you delete a photo from an album, book, card, calendar, or saved slideshow, the photo is merely removed from that item and remains generally available in your iPhoto library.
If, however, you delete a photo while in Events or Photos view, that act moves the photo to iPhoto's Trash. It's still available, but...
If you then empty iPhoto's Trash, all photos in it will be deleted from the iPhoto library and from your hard disk.
Other articles in the series All About Eudora
- Eudora 6.0 Slams Spam, Concentrates Content (08 Sep 03)
- Eudora 5.1 Adds SSL, Palm Address Synchronization (23 Apr 01)
- Eudora 5.0.1 Released (30 Oct 00)
- Eudora 5.0 Reads Your Mind (11 Sep 00)
- An ATypoKill Eudora Hack (04 Sep 00)
- Eudora 4.3.2 Fixes Numerous Minor Bugs (05 Jun 00)
- Eudora 4.3.1 Updater Available (28 Feb 00)
- InterviewBITS with Steve Dorner (14 Feb 00)
- Eudora 4.2 Book & Multiple Users (15 Nov 99)
- Qualcomm Ships Eudora Pro 4.2.1 Boxes and Demo (02 Aug 99)
- Eudora Pro 4.2 Continues to Deliver, Part 2 (19 Jul 99)
- Eudora Pro 4.2 Continues to Deliver, Part 1 (12 Jul 99)
- Eudora Tips & Tricks (17 Nov 97)
- Return Eudora Pro 4.0 to the Old Look (13 Apr 98)
- The Postman Rings Again (06 Apr 98)
- Why I Still Live at the P.O. (or, Eudora Lives!) (09 Dec 96)