Eudora 5.1.1 Finally Ships for Mac OS X -- Qualcomm has released the long-awaited final version of Eudora 5.1.1 for both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X. Eudora users still running Mac OS 9 will appreciate a few small bug fixes, but the big news is the availability of Eudora for Mac OS X. Don't expect major changes - what you'll get under Mac OS X is almost all of Eudora's capabilities in a carbonized application. One important change with Mac OS X: Eudora is now a package containing all the ancillary files and folders for plug-ins and user dictionaries (Control-click the Eudora application, choose Show Package Contents, and open the Contents/MacOS folder for access to the Eudora Stuff folder). Eudora 5.1.1 is a free update for those who paid for Eudora during or after April of 2001, while upgrades for those who bought Eudora before then cost $30, and new versions cost $40: details are on the Eudora Web site. Of course, you can still use all of Eudora's features for free in Sponsored mode with ads, or a reduced set of features without ads in Lite mode. Eudora 5.1.1 for Mac OS X is a 4.0 MB download; 4.3 MB for Mac OS 9. If you're already using Eudora, you can get links to the installers and documentation by clicking "Find the latest update to Eudora" from the Payment & Registration command on the Help menu: if you're using Paid mode, the page will also tell you whether you need to pay for the 5.1.1 upgrade. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Other articles in the series All About Eudora
- Eudora 6.0 Slams Spam, Concentrates Content (08 Sep 03)
- Eudora 5.1 Adds SSL, Palm Address Synchronization (23 Apr 01)
- Eudora 5.0.1 Released (30 Oct 00)
- Eudora 5.0 Reads Your Mind (11 Sep 00)
- An ATypoKill Eudora Hack (04 Sep 00)
- Eudora 4.3.2 Fixes Numerous Minor Bugs (05 Jun 00)
- Eudora 4.3.1 Updater Available (28 Feb 00)
- InterviewBITS with Steve Dorner (14 Feb 00)
- Eudora 4.2 Book & Multiple Users (15 Nov 99)
- Qualcomm Ships Eudora Pro 4.2.1 Boxes and Demo (02 Aug 99)
- Eudora Pro 4.2 Continues to Deliver, Part 2 (19 Jul 99)
- Eudora Pro 4.2 Continues to Deliver, Part 1 (12 Jul 99)
- Eudora Tips & Tricks (17 Nov 97)
- Return Eudora Pro 4.0 to the Old Look (13 Apr 98)
- The Postman Rings Again (06 Apr 98)
- Why I Still Live at the P.O. (or, Eudora Lives!) (09 Dec 96)