Security Update 7-12-02 Fixes Software Update -- Apple has released Security Update 7-12-02 to fix a recently reported problem with Mac OS X's Software Update utility. Software Update 1.4.6 eliminates concern over an attacker setting up a machine to masquerade as the Software Update server swscan.apple.com and deliver malicious programs in the guise of legitimate updates. Although Software Update 1.4.6 still relies on the same server, Apple is now cryptographically signing all downloads, and Software Update installs only downloads that Apple has signed, a capability that has been available in the Mac OS 9 version of Software Update for some time. Downloads that lack a valid signature are deleted. The 2.3 MB Security Update 7-12-02 is available via Software Update itself or as a separate 844K download. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree