PopChar X 1.2 Opens a New Window -- Version 1.2 of ergonis software's PopChar X brilliantly eradicates the shortcomings noted in "Snap, Crackle, and PopChar X" in TidBITS-631. You can now Command-click on the small "P" to move it to another part of the menu bar; more important, PopChar X can now display and insert all of a font's hundreds or thousands of Unicode characters. The interface for character display is superbly simple, clean, and convenient: characters are shown in a single scrolling pane, but that pane is clearly divided into sections (Greek, Cyrillic, Arrows, Hiragana, and so forth) and a pop-down menu scrolls instantly to any section. PopChar X is now both an excellent way to examine your fonts and a significant Unicode input method: for those wishing to use more than the plain Latin alphabet, it's a must-have utility. PopChar X costs $30; this upgrade is free to registered users. [MAN]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Panther-Prepared PopChar Published (29 Sep 03)
- Snap, Crackle, and PopChar X (20 May 02)
- Two Bytes of the Cherry: Unicode and Mac OS X, Part 2 (08 Apr 02)