Dealing With .Mac Trials Ending -- Consider this a brief reminder to the Mac community. According to Apple, iTools accounts that were automatically converted into .Mac trial accounts will be going away in two weeks on 30-Sep-02. Our advice is to ask anyone in your address book using a Mac.com email address if they plan to keep that address or if they'll be switching. If you have a Mac.com account that you're planning to let lapse, we encourage you to change your mailing list subscriptions before the change happens (unsubscribe from your Mac.com address and resubscribe from your new address - look in the headers of every issue of TidBITS for links you can double-click) and let your regular correspondents know of your address change. Finally, search through your Web bookmarks and visit any at Mac.com to see if the owner is providing a forwarding page. On the flip side, if you aren't planning to continue a .Mac-based Web site, we recommend putting up a notice informing visitors where your files have moved. If your site is purely personal, such as Web photo albums uploaded from iPhoto, it's worth informing the people to whom you originally announced the photos of the new location. A little forethought can make this transition a lot easier for everyone. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software