Do You Use Software Update? Apple's Software Update utility for automatically downloading and installing updates to the Mac OS and other Apple software generally works well. But some people choose not to use it because it can be a bit of a nag when you want to put off the installation of an update until you've heard what others say about its stability. For those with dialup Internet connections, the sheer size of many of Apple's updates can make scheduling long downloads with Software Update inconvenient. However, there's no question that Software Update is almost always the fastest and easiest way to get updates from Apple, which leads to our poll question this week. We're trying to find out whether our brief reports of Apple's updates are helpful even when we have no information to add beyond a summary of the changes. So, how often do you have Software Update check for new Apple software? Vote this week on our home page!
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Poll Results: Do You Use Software Update? (24 Feb 03)