WebTV Alertbox -- After Mark Anbinder's article about the WebTV in TidBITS-367, Keith Instone <email@example.com> wrote to suggest that we check out an article about the WebTV. Written by Jakob Nielsen (a SunSoft Distinguished Engineer) for his Alertbox column, the article looks in detail at the usability factors of the WebTV, and it's definitely worth reading if you're considering one. I also encourage you to take a look at Jakob's other Alertbox columns - I was especially intrigued by his 01-Mar-97 column about the need for speed on the Web, which comes to the conclusion that speed (meaning minimal graphics and multimedia effects) must be the overriding design criterion for Web pages, something we've long said here at TidBITS. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- An Internet for the TV Generation (24 Feb 97)