New Handeze Gloves for Aluminum PowerBook G4s -- I've long recommended Handeze gloves for reducing repetitive stress injuries in the hands and wrists (see "Handeze Gloves" in TidBITS-199). The fingerless gloves, made of a special kind of Lycra, keep my hands warm and nimble, and the slight pressure seems to improve circulation. RH Sales, the makers of Handeze, have produced a next-generation version designed specifically for newer and hotter laptops, like the aluminum PowerBook G4s introduced at Macworld this year. The $25 Asbesteze gloves use a combination of Lycra and heat-resistant fibers to keep palms and wrists from becoming too hot (which can exacerbate inflammation) when resting on the aluminum PowerBooks. Macworld magazine recently reported that the PowerBooks could reach 102 degrees F (39 degrees C); a test probe inside the Asbesteze gloves showed a comfortable 91 degrees F (33 degrees C), which is the normal temperature of human skin. RH Sales told us that they're researching a follow-up product to protect laps from overheating from the backside of the PowerBook, a product they jokingly called "Asbestass." Given the painful (and embarrassing) groin injuries sustained last year by a Swedish scientist from his laptop, it might be a hot seller. [GF]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Handeze Gloves (25 Oct 93)
Published in TidBITS 674.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
New Handeze Gloves for Aluminum PowerBook G4s
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>