Virtual PC 6 Updates -- In these transition months before Microsoft takes over the Virtual PC line (see "Microsoft Acquires Virtual PC" in TidBITS-668), Connectix isn't sitting still. The company has released a free Virtual PC 6.0.1 update that fixes crashing problems on PowerPC G3-based Macs when Virtual PC was run in full screen mode, addressed issues with Quicken TurboTax Deluxe, and made minor corrections to the Japanese localization. Now Connectix has released Virtual PC 6.0.2, another free update, that fixes an incompatibility between Virtual PC and Apple's AirPort Extreme card. If you're not using AirPort Extreme, or not having troubles with Virtual PC on an AirPort Extreme-equipped Mac, Connectix recommends sticking with the 6.0.1 update. Both updates are 13.8 MB downloads and are available in English, French, German, and Japanese localizations. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree