QuicKeys X2 Beefs Up Macros -- CE Software has released QuicKeys X2, the latest Mac OS X version of their long-standing macro utility (see "QuicKeys X: Return of the Ghost" in TidBITS-602). Along with a redesigned interface, this release brings to Mac OS X capabilities that previously existed only in the classic version of QuicKeys. For instance, QuicKeys X2 can now watch your actions and record them for later playback, which simplifies making multiple-step shortcuts. More automated tasks have returned as well, so you can now store and retrieve images and text within shortcuts, find and activate buttons by name or location, and find and access pop-up menus by name or location. The return of some programming constructs, including repeat loops, waiting for user actions, and feedback dialogs, will also make multiple-step shortcuts significantly more powerful. Other improvements and new features include customizable date and time formats, a shortcut debugger that runs through multiple step shortcuts one step at a time, an inspector window that helps you configure shortcut behavior, tabbed toolbars, and more control over which applications are affected by specific shortcuts. QuicKeys X2 requires Mac OS X 10.2.3 or later. It costs $100, with upgrades between $20 and $70, depending on your current version of QuicKeys. A 30-day trial version is available as a 10.5 MB download. [ACE]
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
- QuicKeys X: The Return of the Ghost (22 Oct 01)
Published in TidBITS 684.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- QuarkXPress 6 for Mac OS X Ships
- NoteTaker 1.5: Even More Noteworthy
- Security Update 2003-06-09 2.0
- Microsoft Releases IE 5.2.3 for Mac OS X
- Internet Explorer for Mac in Maintenance Mode
- 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) Ratified
- Apple Ships Final Cut Pro 4
- Replacing a Power Mac G4 Power Supply
- Internet-Guided Offline Recreation (IGOR): Database Rituals
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/16-Jun-03