Nisus Writer Express 1.0 Released -- Nisus Software has thrown its hat into the Mac OS X ring with the release of Nisus Writer Express 1.0, a new Mac OS X word processor. Although this version isn't as full-featured as the company's long-standing Nisus Writer Classic 6.5, it's no slouch. It reads and writes documents in plain text, Microsoft Word, Unicode, RTF, and RTFD formats, and it features non-contiguous text selection and a customizable interface. Fans of the Classic version will appreciate the inclusion of the three-level Find and Replace feature, including regular expressions (grep), and multiple editable clipboards. Nisus Writer Express also provides scripting support using menu scripting, AppleScript, and Perl. Most important, however, is that this version provides a Mac OS X foundation to build upon as future releases come closer to the full power of Nisus Writer Classic. Nisus Writer Express costs $60; licensed users of Nisus Writer 6.0 and later can upgrade for $35 for a limited time. A 3.9 MB demo version is also available for download. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 688.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- More Details on AirPort 3.1 Compatibility
- New Life for Western Civilisation
- Have a Nice Strip
- Jeff Carlson at Apple Store Bellevue Square
- Retrospect 5.1 Improves Disaster Recovery
- Importing Netscape Bookmarks into Safari
- Building ColorSync Profiles Using PrintFIX
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/14-Jul-03