Security Update Fixes Screen Effects Problem -- Apple has released Security Update 2003-07-14, fixing a potential security issue related to using a password when waking a Mac from a running Screen Effects screensaver. The update, which requires Mac OS X 10.2.6, fixes a situation where an unauthorized user could gain access to the computer when the password prompt was displayed. Apple has posted the update as a 1.7 MB stand-alone download, as well as made it available under Software Update. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 689.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Posts $19 Million Q3 Profit
- Not To Praise Netscape, But To Bury It
- iData Pro X Opportunity
- Dantz Provides Optical Drive Firmware Updates
- In Memory of Walter Van Lerberghe
- Macworld Expo New York 2003: Highly Concentrated
- Macworld Expo New York 2003 Superlatives
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/21-Jul-03
Security Update Fixes Screen Effects Problem
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>