Dantz Provides Optical Drive Firmware Updates -- If you own an older Titanium PowerBook G4 with a Combo or SuperDrive, and if you also use Retrospect to back up data to CDs or DVDs, you may need to upgrade the optical drive using a firmware update recently released by Dantz. The firmware updaters work on Matshita optical drives installed prior to January of 2003. To determine the revision number of your drive's firmware, launch Apple System Profiler, switch to the Devices and Volumes tab, and look under the Bus heading. Be sure to read the directions at Dantz's Web page for full details. [JLC]
Set Time Zone Automatically in Snow Leopard
Frequent travelers may be interested to know that in Snow Leopard your time zone can now be set automatically by bringing up the Date & Time preference pane, clicking the Time Zone view, and selecting Set Time Zone Automatically. A progress spinner appears while Snow Leopard sends off information about the Wi-Fi signals in your vicinity and receives location data back.
Published in TidBITS 689.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Posts $19 Million Q3 Profit
- Not To Praise Netscape, But To Bury It
- Security Update Fixes Screen Effects Problem
- iData Pro X Opportunity
- In Memory of Walter Van Lerberghe
- Macworld Expo New York 2003: Highly Concentrated
- Macworld Expo New York 2003 Superlatives
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/21-Jul-03