DealBITS Drawing: Tom Bihn Winner -- Congratulations to long-time TidBITS reader Harold Kite of usit.net, whose entry was chosen randomly in our first ever DealBITS drawing. Harold will be receiving a Tom Bihn Brain Bag and laptop case worth $180. Everyone else who entered has received a coupon code good for a 20 percent discount on any Tom Bihn product. Thanks to the 1,295 people who entered, making this first DealBITS drawing a huge success! Keep an eye out for future DealBITS drawings coming soon. [ACE]
Syslogd Overwhelming Your Computer?
If your Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) system is unexpectedly sluggish, logging might be the culprit. Run Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/ folder), and click the CPU column twice to get it to show most to least activity. If syslogd is at the top of the list, there's a fix. Syslogd tracks informational messages produced by software and writes them to the asl.db, a file in your Unix /var/log/ directory. It's a known problem that syslogd can run amok. There's a fix: deleting the asl.db file.
Launch Terminal (from the same Utilities folder), and enter these commands exactly as written, entering your administrative password when prompted:
sudo launchctl stop com.apple.syslogd
sudo rm /var/log/asl.db
sudo launchctl start com.apple.syslogd
Your system should settle down to normal. For more information, follow the link.
- DealBITS Drawing: Tom Bihn Laptop Bags (01 Sep 03)
Published in TidBITS 696.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Fetch Softworks Sponsoring TidBITS
- iMacs Speed and Ports Bumped
- 20 GB and 40 GB iPods Debut
- iTunes Music Store Sells Ten Millionth Song
- Salling Clicker 2.0 Adds Palm Support
- FileMaker Releases Two FileMaker Applications
- Glenn Fleishman Joins TidBITS
- AirPorts Where the Buffalo Roam
- Eudora 6.0 Slams Spam, Concentrates Content
- Talkin' About My Gyration
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/08-Sep-03