20 GB and 40 GB iPods Debut -- Apple today announced the release of 20 GB and 40 GB iPods, replacing the 15 GB and 30 GB models in the current lineup. The 10 GB model remains available for $300, the 20 GB model is $400, and the 40 GB model costs $500. There are no other changes. The larger drives are certainly welcome, and it's interesting to see Apple taking advantage of hard drive size increases and price reductions by increasing iPod storage capacity while keeping prices static. Although a much cheaper iPod would undoubtedly be welcome, the economics of hard drive manufacturing often result in this sort of pattern, so Apple may not have too much room to maneuver, particularly while maintaining the iPod's high margins. It's hard to argue too much, given that the one million iPods Apple has sold so far have undoubtedly helped the company's financial position. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Redesigned iPods Debut (28 Apr 03)
Published in TidBITS 696.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- DealBITS Drawing: Tom Bihn Winner
- Fetch Softworks Sponsoring TidBITS
- iMacs Speed and Ports Bumped
- iTunes Music Store Sells Ten Millionth Song
- Salling Clicker 2.0 Adds Palm Support
- FileMaker Releases Two FileMaker Applications
- Glenn Fleishman Joins TidBITS
- AirPorts Where the Buffalo Roam
- Eudora 6.0 Slams Spam, Concentrates Content
- Talkin' About My Gyration
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/08-Sep-03