Security Update 2003-11-19 Helps Panther, Jaguar -- Apple released a pair of security updates last week via Software Update, bringing both Mac OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar and Mac OS X 10.3.1 Panther up to the same security level. Security Update 2003-11-19 improves OpenSSL security and fixes a potential problem with third-party applications using a print library. On Macs running Jaguar, the security update also fixes issues with Mail, QuickTime for Java, Personal File Sharing, and a few other vulnerabilities that were implemented in the first release of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (see "Security Update 2003-10-28 Released" in TidBITS-704). The update for Jaguar is a 4.6 MB download; the update for Panther is a 1.3 MB download. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software