Netopia Releases Timbuktu 7 -- Bored with controlling only the computer in front of you? Netopia has released Timbuktu 7, the latest version of its software for managing remote Macs and PCs. Timbuktu 7 adds support for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (including Fast User Switching) and includes a Profile service for getting Apple System Profiler information from the remote machine. It's also now easier to work with computers behind NAT routers, thanks to new capabilities to configure which port Timbuktu uses for network traffic and choose which IP address is broadcast. The program requires Mac OS X 10.2.8 and higher, but Timbuktu 6.0.3 is also included for connecting to computers running earlier system versions back to Mac OS 8.6. Timbuktu pricing starts at $95 for a single copy and goes up to $1,650 for 30 licenses (however, Netopia is running an end-of-year sale that reduces those prices through 31-Dec-03). Upgrade pricing depends on the version you're currently using; you must enter your serial number and activation code online to view the upgrade price for your version. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Disabling Dock Space-Making Feature
Having a hard time dragging a file into a folder in the Dock without the Dock trying to make room for it? Holding down Command while dragging the item temporarily disables this Dock feature.
Visit plucky tree
Published in TidBITS 708.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Security Update 2003-12-05 Protects Your Cookies
- Free Macworld Expo Passes
- Business Card Composer 2 Offers Online Ordering
- QuicKeys X2 2.0.2 Now Panther-Compatible
- DealBITS Drawing: Bare Bones Software
- AppleScript Gets a Truly Definitive Guide
- The Wireless Networking Starter Kit, 2nd Edition Released
- MacPAD: The Future of Mac Software Updates
- iPod Gift Offerings, Part 1
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/08-Dec-03