Retrospect 6.0 and Mac OS X Server -- In last week's TidBITS article about the release of Dantz Development's Retrospect 6.0, we made a small error when talking about compatibility with Mac OS X Server. Retrospect Server can back up Mac OS X Server, either by running on the same Mac or using remote Retrospect Client software. In contrast, the less-expensive Retrospect Workgroup cannot back up Mac OS X Server machines using Retrospect Client, but it can back up Mac OS X Server if it's running on the same Mac (we missed that final detail). It's a subtle point, but for offices whose backup servers run Mac OS X Server, it's a difference of $200 in the upgrade price and more when buying a new copy. [GF]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Dantz Ships Panther-Compatible Retrospect 6.0 (26 Jan 04)
Published in TidBITS 715.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Releases Safari 1.2, Java 1.4.2
- BBEdit 7.1.2 Available
- Security Update 2004-01-26 Released
- 10 Percent Off Your Next Take Control Order
- Apple Announces Replacements for Some iBook Logic Boards
- Apple Slips WPA Security into Original AirPort Cards
- Life Balance: Balanced Software for Unbalanced People
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/02-Feb-04