Interarchy 7.0 Adds Tabs, Improves Interface -- Stairways Software has released Interarchy 7.0, the latest version of their flexible Internet file transfer and network utility. For Interarchy 7.0, Stairways has concentrated in large part on enhancing the interface, pulling approaches from a number of common Apple programs. Interarchy 7.0 offers Safari-like tabs so you can avoid having many windows to different FTP sites open simultaneously, adds a Finder-like icon view to the existing list and column views, and provides a bookmark management approach reminiscent of Safari's bookmark collections. Other welcome improvements include a single combined Transfers window, Mac OS X-style toolbars in every window, a History menu for recent actions, and a new Network Host Info window that displays IP address, ping results, MX records, and DNS information. Under the hood, Interarchy is now completely Mac OS X native, using Carbon events and native core networking. Like previous versions, Interarchy 7.0 can upload and download files via FTP, SFTP, FTP/SSH, and can download files or entire Web sites via HTTP, all with a variety of repeating, scheduling, and link checking options. Beyond file transfer, the program also features a suite of network testing tools including packet watching, port scanning, bandwidth monitoring, and more. Interarchy 7.0 costs $40, with free upgrades from the previous version for anyone who purchased since 01-Oct-03 and $20 for those who purchased before that date. Interarchy 7.0 requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later and is a 2.7 MB download. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Interarchy 7.0.1 Adds Polish (08 Mar 04)
Published in TidBITS 718.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Security Update 2004-02-23 Available
- iSight 1.0.2 Software Released
- Apple Adds More RSS Syndication Feeds
- Adam Interviewed on The User Group Report
- Apple: Debt-Free and Flush with Cash
- Austin Indie Bands Shared via iTunes
- Solving AppleWorks Corruption Problems
- iPhoto 4: The Potential Remains
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/23-Feb-04
Interarchy 7.0 Adds Tabs, Improves Interface
Use device inventory, app distribution, security settings, and
more on many devices at once, using an intuitive Web portal.
Manage 3 devices for free, forever. Try it! <http://www.bushel.com/>