Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.3.3 -- Just as we were about to go to press, Apple released the latest free update to Mac OS X 10.3. Version 10.3.3 offers a long list of enhancements (see Apple's Knowledge Base article), but one we're pleased to see is the inclusion of network-mounted volumes in the list of volumes shown in the sidebar of Finder windows and Open/Save dialogs. The update also incorporates other networking fixes and improvements for cross-platform compatibility and AppleTalk; improves .Mac iDisk synchronization performance and behavior; provides fixes for Finder, DVD Player, iPhoto, Mail, Address Book, and Image Capture; and improves start-up time for some computers that were slowed down by the 10.3.2 update. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther owners may upgrade via Software Update (58.8 MB) or download a standalone installer from Apple. [MHA]
iMovie '09: Speed Clips up to 2,000%
iMovie '09 brings back the capability to speed up or slow down clips, which went missing in iMovie '08. Select a clip and bring up the Clip Inspector by double-clicking the clip, clicking the Inspector button on the toolbar, or pressing the I key. Just as with its last appearance in iMovie HD 6, you can move a slider to make the video play back slower or faster (indicated by a turtle or hare icon).
You can also enter a value into the text field to the right of the slider, and this is where things get interesting. You're not limited to the tick mark values on the slider, so you can set the speed to be 118% of normal if you want. The field below that tells you the clip's changed duration.
But you can also exceed the boundaries of the speed slider. Enter any number between 5% and 2000%, then click Done.
Other articles in the series Panther Answers
- Security Update 2004-09-16 Fixes iChat Vulnerability (20 Sep 04)
- Security Update 2004-09-07 1.1 Fixes FTP & Safari (20 Sep 04)
- Security Update 2004-09-07 Potentially Problematic (13 Sep 04)
- Quicken 2005 Released (09 Aug 04)
- Revisiting Panther's FireWire Data Loss Problem (15 Mar 04)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.3.4 Update (07 Jun 04)
- How FileVault Should Work (01 Mar 04)
- A Slew of Apple Software Updates (05 Jan 04)
- New Panther Language Features (17 Nov 03)
- Panther Application Improvements (10 Nov 03)
- WPA Weakness Discovered, but Easily Solved (10 Nov 03)
- Fixes Available for Some Panther FireWire Troubles (03 Nov 03)
- Security Update 2003-10-28 Released (03 Nov 03)
- Interesting Bits of Panther (27 Oct 03)
- Mac OS X 10.3 Panther Unleashed (27 Oct 03)
- Default Folder X & QuicKeys X: Upgrade Before Panther! (27 Oct 03)
- Mac OS X 10.3 Panther Springs at WWDC (23 Jun 03)
Published in TidBITS 721.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- The Devonian Age Continues
- iTunes Music Store Tops 50 Million Songs Sold
- The New Face of FaceSpan
- Perl Made Easy with Affrus 1.0
- Style Master 3.5 Works Web Site Wizardry
- NoteTaker 1.8 Hits More High Notes
- Adam's March Radio Shows
- Revisiting Panther's FireWire Data Loss Problem
- FileMaker Pro 7: Can You Say Paradigm Shift?
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/15-Mar-04