<Bleep>ing GarageBand! Apple Computer today announced the availability of Bleeper, a free innovative Audio Units plug-in for use with Apple's entry-level digital music program, GarageBand. In a technological first for a plug-in designed for a music-creation program, Bleeper integrates with Mac OS X's built-in Speech Recognition technology to detect and "bleep" potentially profane or obscene language in speech or singing in real time. Bleeper can be applied either to existing audio tracks (to create "radio mixes" of your GarageBand songs) or to vocals being recorded in real time (so parents and teachers don't have to worry about children creating potentially offensive material with GarageBand). You can even apply Bleeper to instrumental tracks, although the results can be a little unpredictable. Bleeper itself is highly configurable, enabling music creators to insert silence, a wide variety of substitution tones, or even vanity noises whenever Bleeper detects a potentially offensive word. In another first, Bleeper can be installed and configured for all users by entering a Mac OS X administrator login: that is, a parent or teacher can install Bleeper and require that GarageBand use it for all vocal tracks. Mac OS X users without administrator privileges can configure Bleeper in their songs, but not disable it. The English language version of Bleeper is available now as a 4.1 MB download via Software Update; Apple anticipates localized versions of Bleeper will be available in coming weeks. [GD]
Fill in Gaps in Pear Note
If you ever find yourself zoning out during a meeting or class, only later to realize that you forgot to take notes for 20 minutes, Pear Note makes it easy to fill in those gaps. To do so:
- Open your Pear Note document.
- Hit play.
- Click on the last text you did type to jump to that point in the recording.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
- Take notes on the part you missed.
Your new notes will be synced to the recording just as if you'd taken them live with the rest of your notes.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- iLife '04 Gains a New Member (12 Jan 04)
Published in TidBITS 724.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- "Take Control of Your Island Nation" Released
- Canned Spam Can Can Spam with CAN-SPAM
- DealBITS Drawing: Autographed Spam
- iChat AV 2.2 Public Beta Adds MSN Support
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Standardizes on Macs
- CountDown G5 Enables Mac OS 9 Booting for Power Mac G5s
- The Second Experiment Is Over
- Please Take Your SEETS
- Tes-La Charges Laptops Wirelessly
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>