Retrospect 6.0.193 Released -- Dantz Development has released Retrospect 6.0.193, a minor update to the company's powerful backup program (see "Dantz Ships Panther-Compatible Retrospect 6.0" in TidBITS-714). Retrospect 6.0.193 is designed to address a number of annoying bugs and incompatibilities. It features a workaround for a change in Mac OS X 10.3.3 that prevented tape autoloaders and fibre channel tape libraries from working, and offers better performance for duplicates and restores during the Closing phase. This version also works better with pre-6.0 backup sets: freezes and errors when accessing pre-6.0 backup sets have been addressed; it now allows New Media backups to pre-6.0 backup sets; and you can now restore data from pre-6.0 Internet backup sets. Also important is the included Retrospect Driver Update 5.2.101, which solves crashes when backing up to VXA and DAT drives, fixes a problem with the magazine being ejected from a desktop autoloader after cleaning, and eliminates a crashing bug that could occur during device scanning if more than 2 GB of RAM was installed. Retrospect 6.0.193 is a free update to registered users of Retrospect 6.0; it's a 23.8 MB download. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Dantz Ships Panther-Compatible Retrospect 6.0 (26 Jan 04)