Take Control 50% Off Sale for TidBITS 14th Anniversary -- While we were in Hawaii last week for my sister's wedding, TidBITS celebrated 14 years of continuous publication. Who knew a teenage electronic publication could throw such a big party while its parents were away? Anyway, we're marking the occasion officially this week with a half-off sale on our Take Control ebooks about Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. If you've been hesitant to upgrade from Jaguar, if you'd like to customize Panther to make it work exactly the way you want, if users and accounts in Mac OS X befuddle you, or if you want to make sure you're using the best and most secure methods of sharing files, our ebooks not only contain the information you need now, but also include free minor updates. Through Friday, 30-Apr-04, use coupon code CPN40426TB14 to take 50 percent off your entire order, whether you order a single ebook or all four. [ACE]
Is it a Unicode Font?
To determine if your font is Unicode-compliant, with all its characters coded and mapped correctly, choose the Font in any program (or in Font Book, set the preview area to Custom (Preview > Custom), and type Option-Shift-2.
If you get a euro character (a sort of uppercase C with two horizontal lines through its midsection), it's 99.9 percent certain the font is Unicode-compliant. If you get a graphic character that's gray rounded-rectangle frame with a euro character inside it, the font is definitely not Unicode-compliant. (The fact that the image has a euro sign in it is only coincidental: it's the image used for any missing currency sign.)
This assumes that you're using U.S. input keyboard, which is a little ironic when the euro symbol is the test. With the British keyboard, for instance, Option-2 produces the euro symbol if it's part of the font.
Other articles in the series TidBITS History
- 24 Years of TidBITS and Stronger than Ever (17 Apr 14)
- 23 Years of TidBITS: Thoughts on Our Past, Present, and Future (19 Apr 13)
- TidBITS Turns 22: Are You a TidBITS Member? (16 Apr 12)
- Twenty Years of Memories from Friends of TidBITS (19 Apr 10)
- TidBITS Staffers Recall How They Got Their Starts (19 Apr 10)
- TidBITS Celebrates 20 Years of Internet Publication (19 Apr 10)
- A Few Thoughts After 19 Years of TidBITS (27 Apr 09)
- Follow Along Through 18 Years of TidBITS (21 Apr 08)
- TidBITS Turns 17 (16 Apr 07)
- TidBITS 16th Anniversary Vacation (17 Apr 06)
- TidBITS Anniversary: Looking Back over 15 Macintosh Years (18 Apr 05)
- TidBITS Turns 13: Setting Goals (14 Apr 03)
- An Even Dozen TidBITS (15 Apr 02)
- TidBITS Goes to Eleven (16 Apr 01)
- Lessons from Ten Years of TidBITS (17 Apr 00)
- TidBITS Nets Ninth Anniversary (19 Apr 99)
- Announcing TidBITS Talk (20 Apr 98)
- Bring Your Own Badge (13 Apr 98)
- TidBITS 7.0 (14 Apr 97)
- TidBITS 6.0 (15 Apr 96)
- TidBITS 5.0 (17 Apr 95)
- TidBITS History (18 Apr 94)
- TidBITS 3.0 (19 Apr 93)
- TidBITS 2.0 (20 Apr 92)
- TidBITS Survey Introduction (08 Apr 91)
Published in TidBITS 727.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
Take Control 50% Off Sale for TidBITS 14th Anniversary
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>