Free MacDesign Exhibit Passes -- Our friends at Peachpit Press are giving away passes to the upcoming MacDesign Conference and Expo in Chicago, 02-Jun-04 through 04-Jun-04. The exhibit-only passes are good for 03-Jun-04 only, and are valued at $40. To get a pair of tickets, send your name and postal address in an email to <email@example.com> before 21-May-04. The passes are first-come, first-served, so act quickly before Peachpit runs out. And if you plan to attend the sessions (a full conference pass is $500) at MacDesign as well, be sure to check out Adam's talks on Friday, 04-Jun-04 about iPhoto and electronic book design. [JLC]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree