Ergonis's KeyCue Offers Keyboard Shortcut Cheat Sheet -- KeyCue is a simple but ingenious Mac OS X application from Ergonis Software, makers of the invaluable PopChar X (see "Panther-Prepared PopChar Published" in TidBITS-699). Taking advantage of Panther's Accessibility API (which I described in "Scripting the Unscriptable in Mac OS X" in TidBITS-670), KeyCue reads through the menu items of the frontmost application, finds those that have keyboard shortcuts, and displays a window listing them when you hold down the Command key for a few seconds. A serious shortcoming of the menu paradigm, after all, is that it requires you to open each menu one at a time to hunt for a shortcut or menu item, with the result that you never get a conspectus of an application's shortcuts, and you probably never bother to memorize most of them because, having found the menu item you want, you then just choose it with the mouse. Using KeyCue for a little while, I find, quickly helps me remember the shortcuts for the menu items I use most often; and of course it also gives me a fast way, without hunting in the menus, to access the shortcuts I don't memorize and use less often. KeyCue isn't yet quite the utility I was hoping for; what I really want is a cheat sheet that lets me see and choose from all of an application's menu items, whether or not they have shortcuts, and I'd also like a cheat sheet showing all the global "hot keys" that various applications have installed. But it's certainly a big help, and the $15 pricing is reasonable. You can download a demo version (659K) to try for yourself; it shows all available shortcuts only for the first 10 invocations, after which it hides some of the shortcuts. [MAN]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- KeyCue's Keyboard Shortcut Cheat Sheet Goes Global (24 Mar 09)
- You Type, It Typinates (27 Jun 05)
- Panther-Prepared PopChar Published (29 Sep 03)
- Scripting the Unscriptable in Mac OS X (10 Mar 03)
Published in TidBITS 732.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.3.4 Update
- Creo Six Degrees 2.0 Supports More Email Programs
- Eudora 6.1.1 Released
- PowerMail 5 Released
- Security Update 2004-06-07 Plugs Launch Services Holes
- Apple Fixes Two Security Holes
- AirPort Express Brings Audio, Portability to Wireless Networking
- Tech Tool Pro 4 Joins Our Disk Repair Comparison
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/07-Jun-04