iBook Repair Program Extended -- Apple has broadened its iBook Logic Board Repair program to include more models of the laptop (see "Apple Announces Replacements for Some iBook Logic Boards" in TidBITS-715). The new range of affected units were manufactured between May 2001 and October 2003, with serial numbers ranging from UV117XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX. Problematic iBooks suffer from one or more of the following symptoms on either the built-in LCD or attached external display: scrambled or distorted video; appearance of unexpected lines on the screen; intermittent video image; video freeze; or the computer starts up to a blank screen. Apple is providing repairs (including shipping costs) for free; see the FAQ page at Apple's site for more information. [JLC]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Danes Publicize iBook G4 Defect (14 May 07)
- Apple Announces Replacements for Some iBook Logic Boards (02 Feb 04)