Netting an Error -- In TidBITS-359, I incorrectly noted that the Netter's dinner at the upcoming San Francisco Macworld Expo will be on Wednesday, January 7th. The correct date is Wednesday, January 8th. My apologies; fortunately, the Web page for the event states the date correctly. Also, anyone interested in meeting Adam (and possibly myself) at the actual Expo should feel free to stop by Adam's book signing at the Macmillan booth. The signing is also on Wednesday, January 8th, and it will take place from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. According the Exhibitor list that MHA Event Management has posted to the Web, the Macmillan booth is number 1846. [TJE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- Netter's Dinner (16 Dec 96)