Nisus Writer Express 2.0 Ships -- Nisus Software has begun shipping Nisus Writer Express 2.0, adding more than 30 new features to the company's streamlined word processor for Mac OS X. Improvements include user-defined styles, footnotes, endnotes, a built-in table tool, a Find/Replace dialog that works more like the one in Nisus Writer Classic, and more. Some features, such as word auto-completion and the capability to apply bold or italic to any font (which often isn't possible in Mac OS X if the font in question lacks bold and italic variants), are available only under Mac OS X 10.3. Nisus Writer Express 2.0 requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later and is a free upgrade for owners of Nisus Writer Express 1.0. Otherwise, it costs $60 as a download, or $70 for a CD; owners of Nisus Writer 6.0 and later can upgrade for $45 (download) or $55 (CD). A free 30-day trial version is available as a 21 MB download. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.