PowerBook G4 White Spot Repair Program Announced -- If you were an early owner of Apple's 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4, you may have found an unwelcome surprise: faint white spots on the display. Until now, Apple has been repairing them on a case-by-case basis; my PowerBook exhibited the problem once and was repaired successfully, but I know others whose PowerBooks went back to Apple numerous times. Now, Apple has created a repair program to get the white out. The program covers the Aluminum 15-inch PowerBook G4 (1 GHz or 1.25 GHz processor) or the Titanium 15-inch PowerBook G4 (867 MHz or 1 GHz processor) with a serial number between V7334xxxxxx and V7345xxxxxx, or QT331xxxxxx and QT339xxxxxx. The LCD replacement program is offered worldwide. [JLC]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
Published in TidBITS 748.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- New Sponsors: easyDNS and HobbyLink Japan
- Allume Ships StuffIt Deluxe and StuffIt Standard 9.0
- Eastgate Fires Up Tinderbox 2.3
- Keyboard Maestro 2.0 Makes Macros
- The Missing Sync 4.0.1 Fixes CLIE Bug
- iPhoto Workshop in Malta Cancelled
- iChat AV in the Air
- Editing Photographs for the Perfectionist
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/27-Sep-04