PowerBook G4 White Spot Repair Program Announced -- If you were an early owner of Apple's 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4, you may have found an unwelcome surprise: faint white spots on the display. Until now, Apple has been repairing them on a case-by-case basis; my PowerBook exhibited the problem once and was repaired successfully, but I know others whose PowerBooks went back to Apple numerous times. Now, Apple has created a repair program to get the white out. The program covers the Aluminum 15-inch PowerBook G4 (1 GHz or 1.25 GHz processor) or the Titanium 15-inch PowerBook G4 (867 MHz or 1 GHz processor) with a serial number between V7334xxxxxx and V7345xxxxxx, or QT331xxxxxx and QT339xxxxxx. The LCD replacement program is offered worldwide. [JLC]
Type Faster by Competing in Races
A fun way to improve your typing speed and accuracy is to join an online typing competition at typrX. This typing competition keeps track of your typing speed, while allowing you to compete against other people, either around the world in public races or with friends in private races. To set up a private race with your friends, follow these simple steps.
- Once you have a typrX account, click the Create Private Race button on the front page and you’ll be taken to the private race page.
- From there, copy the track code URL and send it to the friends you want to join the race.
- You can click the Delay Countdown button to add 10 seconds to the clock if you are waiting on your friend to join the race.
Published in TidBITS 748.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- New Sponsors: easyDNS and HobbyLink Japan
- Allume Ships StuffIt Deluxe and StuffIt Standard 9.0
- Eastgate Fires Up Tinderbox 2.3
- Keyboard Maestro 2.0 Makes Macros
- The Missing Sync 4.0.1 Fixes CLIE Bug
- iPhoto Workshop in Malta Cancelled
- iChat AV in the Air
- Editing Photographs for the Perfectionist
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/27-Sep-04