Apple Opens Mini Retail Stores -- Further refining the retail experience of buying a Mac or iPod, Apple opened six new retail stores that feature a "mini" layout compared to existing stores. The smaller design puts products and information along the side walls (which are made up of aluminum panels, like a real-world Finder!), with the main floor space open. A single retail counter doubles as a Genius Bar. Most intriguing is a new self-checkout kiosk built into one wall, where customers can scan and purchase products without employee assistance. The stores appear to be geared toward more general users: the iPod is heavily represented, as are portables and the iMac, but the eMac and Power Mac G5 don't appear at all. Apple now operates 93 Apple Stores in the United States and Japan. [JLC]
Type Faster on an iPhone or iPod touch
When typing on an iPhone or iPod touch, to end a sentence quickly and get ready to start the next one, double tap the Space bar. You'll insert a period followed by a space. You can turn this shortcut on or off via the Shortcut slider in Settings > General > Keyboard.
Published in TidBITS 751.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Rogue Amoeba Sponsoring TidBITS
- Apple Reports $106 Million Fourth Quarter Profit
- Apple Sells Its One Hundred and Fifty Millionth Song
- Take Control of Upgrading to Panther Now in Dutch
- TidBITS Night on The Mac Night Owl Live
- Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 1 Squishes Bugs
- Virtual PC 7 Finally Arrives in Microsoft Office
- Sense & Sensors in Digital Photography
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/18-Oct-04