USPS Click-N-Ship Now Mac-Compatible -- Thanks to Rob Faludi for passing on the information that the U.S. Postal Service Click-N-Ship program now works on the Mac. Click-N-Ship is useful because it lets you avoid trips to your local post office to mail packages, at least if you're using Priority Mail or Express Mail (including Global Express Guaranteed and Global Express Mail). In brief, you weigh your package, enter the weight, destination, and insurance amount (if any) in a Web form, and then pay for the postage via a standard Web shopping cart. A Java-based Web application helps you print the necessary shipping label on a normal sheet of paper (you can also buy special label stock). Your postal carrier then picks up the package the next day just as though it were an outgoing letter. We've only had the chance to use Click-N-Ship a few times so far, but it worked fine in Safari and OmniWeb, and should help us eliminate all those extra errands to the post office. The USPS doesn't claim Macintosh compatibility yet, but it's entirely possible that improvements in the Java VM for Mac OS X brought the necessary changes to make it all work. We still need to buy a good digital scale to take over from our analog kitchen scale, but once that's done, mailing packages will become less annoying than it has been. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 757.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Security Update 2004-12-02 Released
- Squeezebox Adds New Display, Features, Colors
- EyeHome 1.5.1 Improves Interface, Media Support
- Digital Photography: Correction & Follow-up
- DealBITS Drawing: Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro
- iTunes Music Store Opens in Canada
- Apple Starts .Mac Affiliate Program
- Panorama V for Victory
- Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and Spam
- Choosing Backup Software
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/06-Dec-04
USPS Click-N-Ship Now Mac-Compatible
Convert double-sided documents to PDF with the one-button ScanSnap.
Scan documents, business cards, and receipts, and eliminate
paper piles from your desk. Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>