Digital Photography: Correction & Follow-up -- I would like to point out a mistake in my article "Sense & Sensors in Digital Photography" in TidBITS-751. I stated that smaller sensors are more sensitive to camera movement than larger sensors, but when the field of view is comparable, they are not. This vitiates one paragraph but has no effect on any conclusions or advice. Also, an editing gaffe at the end of the same article sowed some confusion over the role of green in Bayer sensors. The second link below points to a clarification of this and also to an extensive set of FAQs that have come out of the series. [Charles Maurer]
Find Text Leading from Acrobat PDF
Ever have to recreate a document from an Acrobat PDF? You can find out most everything about the text by using the Object Inspector, except the leading. Well, here's a cheesy way to figure it out. Open the PDF in Illustrator (you just need one page). Release any and all clipping masks. Draw a guide at the baseline of the first line of text, and one on the line below. Now, Option-drag the first line to make a copy, and position it exactly next to the original first line at baseline. Then put a return anywhere in the copied line. Now adjust leading of the copied lines, so that the second line of copy rests on the baseline of the second line of the original. Now you know your leading.
Or you could buy expensive software to find the leading. Your choice.
- Horsepower & Image Sensors (15 Dec 07)
- A Feast for the Fridge: Printing Digital Pictures (19 Dec 05)
- Reality and Digital Pictures (12 Dec 05)
- Picking a Point-and-Shoot Camera: Panasonic DMC-FX7 (13 Jun 05)
- How to Buy a Digital Camera (15 Nov 04)
- Sense & Sensors in Digital Photography (18 Oct 04)
- Colour & Computers (04 Oct 04)
- Editing Photographs for the Perfectionist (27 Sep 04)
Published in TidBITS 757.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Security Update 2004-12-02 Released
- Squeezebox Adds New Display, Features, Colors
- EyeHome 1.5.1 Improves Interface, Media Support
- USPS Click-N-Ship Now Mac-Compatible
- DealBITS Drawing: Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro
- iTunes Music Store Opens in Canada
- Apple Starts .Mac Affiliate Program
- Panorama V for Victory
- Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and Spam
- Choosing Backup Software
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/06-Dec-04