Helping Asian Tsunami Victims -- The mind boggles at the loss of life and destruction caused by the recent earthquakes and resulting tsunamis. Our thoughts go out to the millions of people affected, and particularly to our readers in those countries. More to the point, we encourage you to donate to one of the many aid organizations working to help restore the foundations of daily life - food, clean drinking water, clothing, sanitation facilities - without which many more people will die. See Google's Tsunami Relief page and CNN's Aid Groups page for more information and donation links. Our hope is that the individuals, institutions, and governments of the world can draw together in helping the victims of this event, which, though terrible, was at least free from malice or ideology. [ACE]
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Published in TidBITS 761.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Circus Ponies Software Sponsoring TidBITS
- Nisus Software Sponsoring TidBITS
- Adam Takes the Fifth!
- OmniWeb 5.1 Ships
- Partying at Macworld Expo SF 2005
- Nisus Writer Express 2.1.1 Released
- DealBITS Drawing: GarageSale Winners
- TidBITS Mailing List Move Complete
- Upgraded Xserve, New Xsan in Pre-Expo Announcement
- Boingo for Macintosh Launches
- Graphing Calculator Comes to Mac OS X
- Tools We Use: Random Noises With SonicMood
- Take Control News/10-Jan-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/10-Jan-05