Nisus Software Sponsoring TidBITS -- If NoteBook is an old program from a new company, Nisus Writer Express is a new program from an old company. Nisus Software is celebrating its 20th year, and the company's flagship program is now Nisus Writer Express, a complete rewrite of the classic version of Nisus Writer that TidBITS has relied on from the very beginning. Our next generation content management system will help us wean ourselves from needing Nisus Writer running in Classic mode, and at the moment, Nisus Writer Express is the leading candidate to become my most commonly used word processor, thanks to its combination of writing and text processing tools, most notably the Document Manager that lets you start writing without even worrying about saving your work; the real-time integration with the free Nisus Thesaurus; and clearly presented statistics on the document and selection, something that's essential for any professional writer. It's a slick little program, and in my usage, it's further along than any of the other new word processors I've tried. So, if you find Microsoft Word overkill for what you need, but TextEdit too little, Nisus Writer Express deserves a look; it's $60 and a 30-day trial version is available. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
Published in TidBITS 761.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Helping Asian Tsunami Victims
- Circus Ponies Software Sponsoring TidBITS
- Adam Takes the Fifth!
- OmniWeb 5.1 Ships
- Partying at Macworld Expo SF 2005
- Nisus Writer Express 2.1.1 Released
- DealBITS Drawing: GarageSale Winners
- TidBITS Mailing List Move Complete
- Upgraded Xserve, New Xsan in Pre-Expo Announcement
- Boingo for Macintosh Launches
- Graphing Calculator Comes to Mac OS X
- Tools We Use: Random Noises With SonicMood
- Take Control News/10-Jan-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/10-Jan-05